Flagging and Treading
Flagging is the process for natural stones whereby irregularly shaped stones are laid out together like a puzzle. These flagged stones are often used in patios, decks, walkways or pathways. It is likewise used in fences and roofing as well. As the name implies, it results in an over-all pattern of irregularly shaped stones beautifully designed to suit floors, walkways or walls.
Flagstones are flat natural stones that are used in a variety of stonework related applications. Treading on the other hand, as opposed to flagging is a process wherein stones are cut to a specific size and shape. They undergo special processing using water and heat. Through this process, treads are given a textured look and feel.
Proper Selection Depends On Your Project
Application of Flagging and Treading
Below are some of the areas where flagging and treading process is applicable:
- Walkways - Flag stones and tread stones used in walkways are popular because of their durability and ability to withstand heavy weather conditions. Garden walkways, walkways leading to the entrance of a home and commercial walkways are just some of the many areas where stone flagging and treading are applied.
- Patios - Attractive designs and variety of stone colors make a patio more appealing and relaxing both for homeowners and visitors as well.
- Step Stones - For those who are on a budget or where a rustic look is desirable, step stones are the next best way of incorporating the flagging and treading process. Step stones are safe and add an aesthetic appeal to your garden.
- Driveway - Flagging and treading are often used in driveways, whereas pebbles and sandstone were the in-thing some years ago. Residential as well as commercial driveways are often designed using flagstones to make them more durable and attractive.
- Sidewalks - As the flagging process creates irregularly shaped patterns sown into an overall mosaic, they make a great solution for sidewalks. Similarly, treading of stones may also be used to achieve specific size and dimensions for sidewalks where specifications require such precision.
Where to Source Flag Stones and Tread Stones
Riverside Supply Co. has been a true partner to masons, homeowners, builders and architects for over sixty-five years. With a wide selection of pavers and retaining wall supplies available in stock, we provide a one-stop shop for all your masonry construction needs. As a family-owned company for three generations you can be sure of the highest level of care and customer service available.